Christmas has past and we are faced with a bright and shiny, fresh, new year. We are also faced with the decision to make, or not to make, New Year's Resolutions (NYR).
Traditionally I have not liked NYR because they tend to be forced and unimportant and easily broken. Example: work out more - ends in about 2 weeks, lose weight - blah blah, save money - easily said hard to do after Christmas and while using student loans. After failing over and over to keep the NYR I stopped doing them. And honestly did not miss it.
Then I started doing Next Year's Major To Do List (NYMTDL) which is better because most of them get done without extra effort. Example: graduate (would have done this anyway), take boards (have to do), read 3 books for fun (gives me good excuse not to read medical journals). I like to do lists. I feel a sense of accomplishment crossing off items, even if it is "shower". Some people are not organized enough to shower, I am, I am very accomplished. That sort-of-thing.
But more than that, my NYMTDL helps me see the big picture. Where have I come from (by looking at last year's list), where am I going and how should I get there (this year's list). I sit back and reflect on things that are important - relationships (am I doing a good job maintaining these, how can I improve them), my personal happiness (fun stuff), how is my health (exercise, BP, stress). This reflection time, taking inventory, is the most useful, I think. It helps me gain perspective. A guide for continuing or changing life's path.
I also like to look at the list throughout the year, and change it if needed. It helps to keep me on track, keep me motivated, and remember that all things pass, especially unpleasant ones, like taking boards.
What do you do? Do you do make NYR or NYMTDL? Or do you reflect in different ways?
Just curious.
Andy




1 comments:
I really enjoyed this post. I made one resolution this year, last year none, and before that way too many. I like your idea better. Brandon refuses to do resolutions, I'll have to tell him your idea.
Post a Comment